Join ShadowTech as a business mentor and build valuable connections with the next generation of talent.
HOW IT WORKS
- Register your organisation and nominate how many mentors are participating for each regional ShadowTech event.
Once you’ve registered
- We will add you to the mailing list to receive updates about ShadowTech.
- If you need to make any changes to your registration then please contact us.
- Once registrations have closed and the student-mentor matching process completed, we’ll email the person listed as your regional event contact with details of the students assigned to your organisation and further details about the day*.
* This will be a few days out from the event date so please ensure your availability for the dates you have selected.
What’s required of you on the day
- We will email you details of the students and details for the day/s approximately two days before the event.
- Meet your students at the tertiary partner’s venue and join the girls in listening to an inspirational speaker (exact agenda will differ across each event).
- Transport the students back to your workplace.
- Ensure any health and safety requirements are covered off.
- This part of the day is up to you! Some of the activities you could undertake with your students include:
- The vision and purpose of your organisation and the types of roles within IT.
- A tour of your workplace.
- Introductions to other areas of your organisation and how your role fits in the organisation chart.
- Sitting in on client and team meetings.
- Sales and marketing discussions.
- Take the students to lunch. This is your opportunity to share any personal experiences with the students and their opportunity to ask questions.
- Deliver the students back to the venue and sit in on de-briefing activities.
- Complete a feedback survey.
*Please note that student details may change after this time – we will do our best to communicate any changes leading up to the day.
WHY COMPANIES PARTICIPATE
- “To show students that there is a range of career options within the ICT sector and that their intangible skills of strong communication, ability to multi task and creativity are highly regarded in the industry.”
- “To expose a technology company to students to help break down assumptions of technology companies, and show possibilities of a technology career.”
- “We’re super keen to have more women in our workplace and what better way to help secure that by inviting young women inside our business for a day.”
WHAT MENTORS SAY
- “It was a great experience to have the future generation in our office for the day. They asked very insightful questions that got us all thinking, and brought a lot of energy into the office.”
- “The highlight was seeing students eyes light up when something they dreamed of doing is shown to be an actual job.”
- “It was really great to see the interest that the students had in learning about our organisation and the wider tech industry. We felt that they really engaged with the day”
I enjoyed that overall experience of the day because it’s great to know that not only men do tech things but so do women. I loved learning about the way they work and how they work as a team it gave me more encouragement of taking part in the technology department in the future.”2018 Student participant, Palmerston North
I really loved going to ShadowTech and the experience was amazing. I got to meet some amazing people that worked in the technology industry and hearing how they got to a career that they were passionate about. It was a really memorable day that was very beneficial to see what my career path could be.”2018 Student participant, Auckland